The old wooden bridge across the Little Cedar River, on what is now River Road, the north entrance to the city of Stephenson, was replaced in 1948. The bridge crossed the river near Suano Dairy (current site of Frank Klitzke's home). That part of the river also served as the ol' swimmin' hole for many Stephenson youngsters. The bridge featured a platform with a diving board. In 1978, an entirely new bridge was built by the City of Stephenson during the time when Herbert Corey was mayor. Francis Menacher was clerk. Councilmen were Kenneth Rickaby, Donald Johnson, Carmen Anderson, Donavan Diehm, Harold Anderson and Human Hubbard. The south side of the river is now home to Erickson Park and is still enjoyed by many seeking a summer get-away right in the city. Among the park's ameneties are a pavilion, rest rooms, grills, playground and a ball diamond.
Photo courtesy of Vi Bartels