A two-span iron railroad bridge, built around 1870, spanned the Menominee River in the town of Fisher, later renamed Koss. The bridge carried the traffic of the Wisconsin-Michigan (W&M) Railroad. The Koss Bridge was, according to written recollections by the late Dan Bronoel, the center for many things. On the Michigan side was the pump house that furnished water to fill the tank near the depot. Boats tied up near the foot of the bridge for fishing, a popular pastime. Swimming across the river's 300 feet was a feat, which to local youngsters, matched swimming the English Channel. Spring was accompanied by the log drive down the Menominee River to mills in Menominee and Marinette. Lumberjacks rode the logs and there was always a heavy jam piled against the pier. The lumberjacks did what they could to release the logs, but often wound up dynamiting the pile. With the demise of the short-lived W&M Railroad in the early 20th century, planks were laid across the tracks to accommodate cars and trucks. The single-lane bridge served until 1992, when a new concretespan structure was finished. The new two-lane bridge was a joint effort by Wisconsin and Michigan highway departments and Marinette and Menominee counties' highway departments.
Photos from Journal files.