The Stephenson Military Band lined up to lead the Fourth of July parade through Stephenson in this 1907 photo. The large building on the left is the Commercial Hotel, which is now the Solander Building. The building on the far right is now the Stephenson Family Restaurant.
Shortly after the turn of the century, the Fourth of July celebration was organized by owners of the saloons and the Commercial Hotel. Events included a parade, games for adults and children, music by Stephenson bands throughout the day and a prominent lecturer speaking in the afternoon.
Notice the trees that lined the sidewalks along the parade route. Volunteers cut small trees and brought them into the village and stood them along the sidewalks to provide shade for those watching the parade and other activities throughout the day.
Photo from the collection of the Late Lillian Hansen.