Charles W. Behrend, left, and his son Karl Behrend, right, lined up some of the inventory in the late 1920s at Behrend Motor Co., Powers. The company garage was located on the current site of Powers Printing Company. Charles Behrend opened a Ford dealership in the U.P, in 1917. Ten years later, he switched to selling Chevrolets. Charlie's sons, Karl and Elmer, took over the dealership when he retired in 1944. In the early 1980s, Elmer's son Paul and his sons, Jonah and Ryan, opened PJ&R Auto Sales on the corner of US-41 and Second Street, just across the street from the original Behrend garage. They operated the business there for several years. Now, a descendant of Charles Behrend, Jenifer Creighton, and her husband John, along with Fran Marsicek, have reopened PJ&R Auto Sales.
(Photos from Behrend Family Collection)